Issue #9799 has been updated by cremno phobia.

I've searched for a rationale. It can be found in <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/C99RationaleV5.10.pdf> on the bottom of page 188 (or real page 181):
>The specification of `atan2(,)` as `/4` indicates the reasonable quadrant, preserving some information in preference to none.

Maybe it does make more sense **for Ruby** to raise. I'm not a mathematician and it also doesn't look useful to me. Also, some languages I've linked seem to lack a similar exception/error (Go or JS), but instead of returning NaN, they follow C's Ann. F and return a more meaningful result instead.

It is mainly curiosity (I've added `Math::DomainError` to mruby)I don't have a strong opinion on this.

Feature #9799: change behavior of Math::atan2 if y and x are both Float::INFINITY