Issue #9711 has been updated by Ryan Davis.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Sometimes I am slow at
choosing my words.

> We are hard to maintain test-unit and minitest for standard library.
> I poropose to remove to their from stdlib.

I'm not against moving minitest & test-unit into test for the sake of
maintainability.

I *AM* against shipping ruby without a testing library.

The Ruby community has a long history and culture centered around
testing. Removing all testing libraries from ruby betrays that culture
we've spent so long developing. It would be a shame to ship a ruby
that didn't support testing out of the box.

Ruby currently ships with minitest 4.7.5 and nobu/shota's "test-unit"
(quoted because, AFAIK, it is unrelated to the real test-unit gem
maintained by Kouhei Sutou). Test-unit is completely dependent on the
internals of minitest 4 to the point that I can't update minitest to
the latest version (5.3.3). In fact, I've accidentally broken
test-unit in the past when I updated lib/minitest. I don't want to do
this again.

I would be happy to have minitest 4 move to the test/minitest and even
have it merged completely with test/test-unit. I relinquish ownership
of test/minitest and consider it part of test/test-unit. I won't
maintain it further as I'm afraid of breaking test-unit and/or the
tests.

I would like to further propose that ruby still ship with minitest and
I would like to update that to minitest 5 (at some point, it doesn't
have to be now).

However, I do NOT think it should ship as lib/minitest. As we've seen,
there is too much incompatibility & confusion with gems shipping in
lib/. I've had numerous problems with rake, rdoc, and minitest because
of this. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

I would like the packaging / installation process to be extended so
that these packages are all installed as _real_ gems the same way any
other gem is installed. Upgrading, cleanup, and load paths should all
be done the same way they're normally done via rubygems. The gem specs
should not be modified. There should be zero difference between what
is installed by a ruby install and the actual gem of the same version.
I understand that this is a separate issue and am happy to file a new
ticket.

* Agree to move lib/minitest and lib/test into test/*.
* I relinquish ownership of test/minitest and propose it be merged
  directly into test/test-unit.
* I'd like to update ruby to ship with minitest 5, as a real gem.
* I'd also like all the other bundled gems to ship as real gems.

Feature #9711: Remove test-unit and minitest from stdlib.

We are hard to maintain test-unit and minitest for standard library.
I poropose to remove to their from stdlib.

see also my patches: https://github.com/hsbt/ruby/compare/extracted-test-suite?expand=1

my solution is that test-unit and minitest move to test directory.
their are used only ruby-core tests.

If people hope to use test-unit and minitest, they can download their from rubygems.

copy-test-unit-minitest.patch (140 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/