--nextPart3509036.b8YfMaYTcB

Ok, in an attempt to reduce clutter, I'm responding to several people in on=
e=20
email.  I don't think anything new is being said by myself, anyway.

On Monday 10 October 2005 09:31, Hugh Sasse wrote:
> > investigating it.  As I've said, my interest in RubyGems has only gotten
> > smaller with every interaction I've had with it.  By the time I got to
> > the firewall problem, I had neither time nor interest in debugging it.=
=20
> > On top of that, I'm not sure I could justify spending time on it while I
> > was at work, where I see the problem.
>
> Except that doing so even to the extent where we get a stackdump
> might make life much easier in the future.  If you can show us a
> failure, others who have more time may be able to reproduce it and
> help us squash it.

I need to be able to justify the time expenditure, and I can't.  I'll try t=
o=20
install something and see if I can get an idea of where it fails, but beyon=
d=20
spending a couple of minutes on it, I'm just stealing the client's money by=
=20
working on this.

Later, Gavin said:
> Rails has always been available as a tarball. =A0People should really
> stop griping about this aspect of the debate.

It has been a while, and I could be misremembering, but I remember it being=
 a=20
real PITA trying to find the tarball for Rails.  I see the "tar/gz" release=
s=20
to the left now, and maybe they've always been there.  If so, my mistake.

> But what's so doggone hard or objectionable about installing gem Y if you=
've
> already  installed gem X?

You misunderstood me.  I've already installed Y, but not as a Gem.  Now I t=
ry=20
to install X (which depends on Y).  What happens?

Even later, James Britt wrote:
> Perhaps I'm misreading you, but you seem to prefer tarballs over gems=20
> because gems does not solve the firewall problem. =A0But neither does tar.

You're right.  Tar doesn't try to do any network traffic, and I can inspect=
 a=20
tar and see what it is going to do to my system.  But, if it is as you've=20
said, I should be able to download a gem, get a list of the gem dependencie=
s=20
(some of which I've already installed without RubyGems), download those=20
dependencies which I don't have, and use 'gem' to install them from the=20
command line without 'gem' trying to go to the network.  In that case, the=
=20
firewall issue isn't a big deal, and you're right that I'm in no worse=20
position with Gems than without them.

And way later than that, Chad Fowler asked:
> Sean, what were you using before REXML was added to Ruby's CVS? =A0We =A0
> wrote RubyGems after that. =A0Were you
> using Ryan Leavengood's old prototype? =A0If so, that's only related in =
=A0
> name and purpose.

That's probably the case.  I haven't been following the evolution of RubyGe=
ms.

Although, more recently than this I tried to build a Gem for SVG::Graph, an=
d=20
had the build process fail on me with some script error that I didn't try t=
o=20
track down.  This would have been, oh, about a year ago.

And finally, Jim Weirich asserted:
> > I still have questions about gem's operation. =A0For example, if gem X
> > depends
> > on Y, and I've already installed Y but not as a gem, will RubyGems see
> > that?
>=20
> No. =A0But it doesn't prevent you from installing the gem. =A0You can tel=
l the
> gem command to bypass dependency checking with a command line option.

Will the Gem work?  I mean, without the dependency stuff, will it find the=
=20
requires that it needs?  Installing it is only half the problem; it still h=
as=20
to work.

That's good to know about being able to bypass the dependency checking.

=2D-=20
=2D-- SER

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents,=20
more and more closely, the inner soul of the people.  On some=20
great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach=20
their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned=20
by a downright moron."        -  H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)