Issue #9675 has been reported by Cody Cutrer.

Bug #9675: Marshal.load fails with recursive structures and user defined hash method
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/9675

* Author: Cody Cutrer
* Assignee:
* Category:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: ruby 2.1.0p0 (2013-12-25 revision 44422) [x86_64-darwin13.0]
If a user class redefines hash to something that depends on instance variables, and the object is loaded both before a hash, and as a key of a hash of one of its own instance variables (that's loaded *before* the instance variables needed for the #hash method), it will fail.

It seems like the hash should be constructed during loading *without* calling #hash, and then after the load has completed, call #rehash on all of the loaded hashes. This should fix any form of nested data structures.

I can repro in 1.9.3p286, 1.9.3p484, and 2.1.0p0 at the least.  I discovered when upgrading a far more complicated application from 1.9.3p286 to 1.9.3p484 caused a change in the order of instance variables, thereby triggering the issue. My reduced test case (attached) hits the issue in both versions, though.

marshal_crash.rb (228 Bytes)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/