Issue #9593 has been updated by Aaron Patterson.

Hi,

Before r45272 this code worked:

~~~
require 'minitest/autorun'

class DefaultArg < MiniTest::Unit::TestCase
  class Default
    def foo; 'foo'; end

    def bar foo = foo
      foo

  def test_default
    assert_equal 'foo', Default.new.bar
~~~

Was this expected to break?  Unfortunately we have real code that depends on the behavior:

  https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/81d08abcccf2ef1b0ea6e98daf00f6ca375f3d8a/activerecord/lib/active_record/associations/has_many_association.rb#L74

but we can change it

Bug #9593: Keyword arguments default argument assignment behaviour not consistent with optional argument