On Wednesday, 11 December 2002 at  8:11:18 +0900, Jim Freeze wrote:
> On Tuesday, 10 December 2002 at 23:28:59 +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> > I'm afraid your linker (GNU ld) is not capable to create dynamic
> > loadable modules (.so), or maybe we need to specify some unknown
> > command line options to the linker to do so.  Do manual pages on your
> > machine say anything?  Try man dlopen, ld etc.
> >
> > 							matz.
>
> Thanks much for your help. I just figured out that the default
> path was recently changed to put /usr/ccs/bin before /usr/local/bin.
> Changing this and placing /usr/local/bin first allowed the gnu ld
> (/usr/local/bin/ld) to be used instead of solaris ld (/usr/ccs/bin/ld).
> All problems have now disappeared.

After looking into this issue more, it appears that ld is used
during runtime and not during compile time. (Is this true?)
Anyway, I still don't understand why an installed version of
1.6.6 works while 1.7.3 does not (that is, with the /usr/css/bin/ld).
All I have to do to get the 1.7.3 version to run is to ensure that
/usr/local/bin/ld is in my path before /usr/css/bin/ld.
Also, 1.6.7 partially works, that is, irb run but socket Aborts.

Has something changed with 1.7.3, or does ld link the .so files and
there is some wierd interaction between the the old .so files
and the new .so files?

--
Jim Freeze