Category changed from core to doc

Bug #9574: Inconsistent behavior between Kernel#Float and to_f

* Author: Robin Dupret
* Assignee:
* Category: doc
* Target version:
* ruby -v: 2.1.0
* Backport: 1.9.3: UNKNOWN, 2.0.0: UNKNOWN, 2.1: UNKNOWN
Hello,

Sorry if this has still been requested, I haven't found anything about this on the tracker. There is an inconsistent behavior between #to_f and Float() with strings. I don't know whether this is intended or not but if it is, there is at least something wrong in Kernel#Float's documentation:

Numeric types are converted directly, the rest are converted using arg.to_f.

    >> "123.".to_f
    => 123.0
    >> Float("123.")
    ArgumentError: invalid value for Float(): "123."
    from (pry):1:in `Float'

The issue has been originally reported here https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/11800.

Have a nice day.

--