Issue #9516 has been reported by Thomas Enebo.

misc #9516: Consolidate all deprecation messages to one or more helper methods
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/9516

* Author: Thomas Enebo
* Assignee:
* Category:
* Target version:
I was examining this blog entry: http://batsov.com/articles/2014/02/05/a-list-of-deprecated-stuff-in-ruby/ and I wanted to add these warning in JRuby.  I thought it would be nice if I could make a higher level construct (e.g. @RubyDeprecated(use="Dir.exist?")) but then realized MRI does not consistently have the same warning string formats:

"Dir.exists? is a deprecated name, use Dir.exist? instead"
"GDBM#index is deprecated; use GDBM#key"
"Zlib::GzipReader#bytes is deprecated; use #each_byte instead"

Some helper methods could make these consistent and then I could make the higher level abstraction in JRuby as well.  Since these are warnings I might still make an abstraction and let JRuby be a little inconsistent but I thought I would pass this idea along.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/