------art_1034_28452455.1127935121936

On 9/28/05, Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/28/05, Sean E. Russell <ser / germane-software.com> wrote:
> >> API version numbering in the name is one of the *worst* things you
> >> can do. I much prefer supporting AIX and HP-UX to supporting Linux
> >> because of this nonsense. (Solaris isn't much better than Linux for
> >> this.)
> > "Carthago delenda est!" -- The versioning mechanism must be separate
> > from the library manager.
>
> Sorry, but as I said in the other response to you, I disagree.
> Soversions suck, and something needs to be done properly in the language
> to support versioned APIs. RubyGems isn't perfect for this, but it's a
> hell of a lot better than not having anything at all.

I agree that integrated version support is a critically important feature --
I don't want Ruby to repeat the versioning-hell inherent in most packaging
systems that I have used.

Curt

PS
Austin, I admire your persistence in trying to dispell the FUD and keep the
issue focused. I don't know how you do it, I would have given up long ago.
Thanks!

------art_1034_28452455.1127935121936--