Bug #9433: Backquote fail to allocate memory

* Author: Daniel Libanori
* Assignee:
* Category: core
* Target version:
* ruby -v: 1.9.3, 2.0.0 and 2.1.0
* Backport: 1.9.3: UNKNOWN, 2.0.0: UNKNOWN, 2.1: UNKNOWN
Backquote fail to allocate memory even if you have free memory.

When your ruby process takes more memory then you have free, backquote fail to run the most simple command. Same issue with Open3.popen3. Kernel#system works fine.  I don't know ruby's internal, but I think it is something related with pipe_open.

I am trying this script in Ubuntu Server 13.10 64 bits with 256 MB no swap at VirtualBox.

fork.rb (776 Bytes)

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/