--nextPart1364541.bkFaBNWP6P

On Monday 26 September 2005 22:41, Austin Ziegler wrote:
> The *real* harm is that without RubyGems, there would be fewer libraries
> easily installed.

This is a straw-man argument.=20

The easiest way for users to install software -- ANY software, including=20
libraries -- is by using the package manager that they use for installing a=
ll=20
other software on their system.

> You don't like RubyGems? MAKE SOMETHING YOURSELF AND PROMOTE IT.
> Otherwise you're simply being obstructionist and *no one* has time for
> that.

Another straw man.  Users may oppose RubyGems for other reasons not having =
to=20
do with any specific implementation of a library manager.

I only fear getting locked into using a specific library manager.  I (and y=
ou)=20
expect the following process to occur:

1 RubyGems is bundled with Ruby.
2 Gems then becomes viewed as the standard library distribution mechanism.
3 Library developers, especially newcomers who've never used setup.rb,
  will only distribute their packages as Gems.
4 The perception of the standard becomes a fact, resulting in a feedback
   loop at 3.

None of this bothers me as a developer, because I won't be distributing my=
=20
libraries as Gems.  However, it bothers me greatly as a user, because now I=
=20
won't be able to install Ruby libraries without gems, which forces me to us=
e=20
it.  It also means that I won't be able to use Ruby at work, because of=20
RubyGems' aforementioned inability to deal with firewalls properly.

> API version numbering in the name is one of the *worst* things you can
> do. I much prefer supporting AIX and HP-UX to supporting Linux because
> of this nonsense. (Solaris isn't much better than Linux for this.)

"Carthago delenda est!"  --  The versioning mechanism must be separate from=
=20
the library manager.

=2D-=20
=2D-- SER

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents,=20
more and more closely, the inner soul of the people.  On some=20
great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach=20
their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned=20
by a downright moron."        -  H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)