My point is OpenSSL extension shall not be maintained by ruby-core any longer.  OpenSSL itself is useful.  The thing is the fact that we are maintaining that extension, is gratly prejudicing its value.  It does not benefit anyone.

So gemmifying is a good step towards removal.  With that, and if RubyGems can run without https, removing OpenSSL from core doesn't affect your daily life because you can easily resurrect it using `gem install openssl`.

Feature #9439: Remove OpenSSL from stdlib

* Author: Zachary Scott
* Assignee:
* Category: lib
* Target version: current: 2.2.0
Regarding [ruby-core:59943], I agree with nobu that we should remove OpenSSL from ruby.

It's become too hard to maintain, and would better serve our users to encourage the use of a different implementation.

Another benefit of removing OpenSSL is the impact backport fixes have on the release management team.

Although I haven't yet determined the extent of work required to remove it (ie: tooling, tests, etc). We can discuss them here.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/