Issue #9439 has been updated by Aaron Patterson.

 On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 12:32:12AM +0000, mame / tsg.ne.jp wrote:
 > Issue #9439 has been updated by Yusuke Endoh.
 >

 > Aaron Patterson wrote:
 > >  Can we take a less extreme approach?  We should convert openssl to a gem
 > >  that ships with Ruby (like json, minitest, psych, etc).
 >
 > Then, who will maintain the OpenSSL gem?

 Presumably Martin.  Did he abandon it?

 > Shyouhei's point is that we can no longer develop the OpenSSL extension.
 > Just converting it to a gem does not solve the problem at all.

 Which problem are you referring to?

 --
 Aaron Patterson
 http://tenderlovemaking.com/

Feature #9439: Remove OpenSSL from stdlib

* Author: Zachary Scott
* Assignee:
* Category: lib
* Target version: current: 2.2.0
Regarding [ruby-core:59943], I agree with nobu that we should remove OpenSSL from ruby.

It's become too hard to maintain, and would better serve our users to encourage the use of a different implementation.

Another benefit of removing OpenSSL is the impact backport fixes have on the release management team.

Although I haven't yet determined the extent of work required to remove it (ie: tooling, tests, etc). We can discuss them here.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/