Quoting halostatue / gmail.com, on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 06:02:07AM +0900:
> On 9/26/05, TRANS <transfire / gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've added namespaces to require. Works like this:
>
> Two things. 1. I don't see any particular reason for this. It's neat,

The point is that gems fundamentally changes the way require works.

Its not a packaging system, its not an addition to the standard library,
it is a change in the behaviour of one of the most fundamental of Kernel
methods.

I fail to see the need for language support for a particular packaging
system. I don't see why the need for versioned lib dependencies for
rails requires a language change, I don't see why packaging requires a
language change, and I don't see why versioned dependencies and
packaging are so strongly coupled that you are forced to eat the
language change in order to install a library.

gems fans would say it is a sign of the superiority of gems over other
packaging systems that it solves versioning and packaging all at once, I
think its a novelty that will be regretted for a long time.

They should be decoupled, require does NOT have to be changed in order
to support package distribution. Split versioning into an optional
facility for those who need it.

Sam