Issue #9438 has been updated by Joshua Ballanco.

As a point of comparison, I've often heard members of the Python community refer to the original implementation as "CPython". Also, not that this should necessarily carry any weight, but it's worth noting that CPython has its own page on Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPython ). I was actually interested to learn that Wikipedia also has an entry for MRI ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_MRI ) distinct from the entry for Ruby ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_(programming_language) ), though even they seem to be confused as to the correct way to refer to the original implementation stating that it is "also called CRuby".

If I may add one other anecdote to the conversation, I've done a fair amount of speaking on Ruby at conferences and meet ups. More than once I've had the experience of someone unfamiliar with the deeper internal workings of the Ruby community ask me after my talk: "what does MRI mean?". I still often refer to MRI, but I have made an effort, at least when speaking publicly, to refer to it as "CRuby", since it seems this is easier for newcomer to grasp quickly.

misc #9438: Implementation naming

* Author: Zachary Scott
* Assignee: Zachary Scott
* Category: doc
* Target version: current: 2.2.0
There seems to be an unclear decision on what to call this implementation.

We should make a decision between CRuby and MRI and update relating documentation to use one of them.

This discussion is based off a [ticket on ruby-lang.org](https://github.com/ruby/www.ruby-lang.org/commit/9c315c3#commitcomment-5120340), but also affects ruby-trunk source code as MRI is mentioned periodically.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/