Issue #9438 has been updated by Tsuyoshi Sawada.

Neither "MRI" nor "CRuby" sounds official. They just emerged out of the community using it. I believe the official name of the implementation is Ruby. When you need to distinguish it from other implementations, I think you can use words like "the original (Ruby) implementation", "original Ruby", "the authentic (Ruby) implementation", "authentic Ruby".

But I also wonder how this issue is dealt with in other languages. Maybe we can learn from it.

misc #9438: Implementation naming

* Author: Zachary Scott
* Assignee: Zachary Scott
* Category: doc
* Target version: current: 2.2.0
There seems to be an unclear decision on what to call this implementation.

We should make a decision between CRuby and MRI and update relating documentation to use one of them.

This discussion is based off a [ticket on ruby-lang.org](https://github.com/ruby/www.ruby-lang.org/commit/9c315c3#commitcomment-5120340), but also affects ruby-trunk source code as MRI is mentioned periodically.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/