On 9/26/05, TRANS <transfire / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/26/05, Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Well, it NOT just a Nano problem. It IS a cross-platform problem.
>>> This can effect any project that uses a file name with certain
>>> punctuation.
>> Sure. But I don't think that most people would *want* to use such
>> punctuation in their function names. I think it's a Nano problem
>> because you're wanting to allow individual function specification. It
>> makes sense, but I don't think that it's a general-case problem. (It
>> never would have dawned on me to use *, ?, or a couple of other
>> characters in any filename that I would require from Ruby. This may
>> be because I do a *lot* of cross-platform work, but I just wouldn't
>> ever do that. I think it's something that could be discouraged.)
> Well, you are probably right --simply b/c there probably is no really
> good solution from this end. The real solution is to modernize the
> file systems themselves --personally, it boogles my mind that we still
> use .xxx in a filename for file type.

I'm not boggled by that, actually. While imperfect, it *is* good for the
human eye's pattern matching -- if I see a bunch of files called .jpg in
a direction, I know they're the same. Icons can help with this, but only
to a degree.

>> I'd rather see built-in support for loading from .zip or .tar first
>> (unfortunately, we can't really choose .rar as a filename, as it's
>> already an archive type).
> Intersting. What is that good for, embedded systems?

Similar to a .jar; simplified distribution, similar to the way that a
Gem is simplified distribution, except that this would also be for

> Also I think the first priority should be DATADIR.

That, I think, is a given, as it's a general Ruby problem, not just a
RubyGems problem.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com