Issue #9424 has been updated by Aaron Bedra.

Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
> This is primarily an issue of OpenSSL.
> And the next candidates are OS/Platform/Packager providers.
>
> Fixing all other tools is the last resort.

Waiting for OpenSSL to fix these things means that they will never get fixed. Even if somehow these defaults/options do disappear it will take years for people to benefit from the update. Most people are still stuck on some flavor of OpenSSL 0.98 because of their distro/packager of choice. This is low hanging fruit for Ruby and has a significant impact to the users of the language.

There are people here that will happily do the work (and it looks like Jeff already has). Please reconsider allowing these changes. +1's welcome here.

Bug #9424: ruby 1.9 & 2.x has insecure SSL/TLS client defaults