> We'd like to take a minute and discuss our plans for ruby-core supported maintenance periods of Ruby.

"take a minute and discuss" is not useful for users. It should be simply "We release" or "decide" or something.

> backports will be made to the `ruby_MAJOR_MINOR` branch

this information is not for users.

> The ruby-core team is responsible for a proper End-of-Life for each `MINOR` version of Ruby.
>
> Our current format is to assign a maintainer for each `MINOR` series of Ruby. It's important to note that this person is not obligated to commit forthe entire 3 year suggested maintenance period.
>
> Our main goal to avoid sudden death.

What do you want to say in these paragraph?
If this is announce, the audience is users.
They read this, "We want to avoid sudden death".
"ah, ok... and what ruby-core will do?"

The content is just a memorandum.

See also rails' maintenance policy: http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2013/2/24/maintenance-policy-for-ruby-on-rails/
or you should see other policies.

> Any decision made on Ruby development is based on the consensus of ruby-core as a team. The decision must be implicitly or explicitly approved by members of the maintenance policy team:

This is not for users, just for you, zzak.

misc #9215: Maintenance Policy for Future Releases (2.1.0 & beyond)