Issue #9401 has been reported by Alexey Muranov.

Feature #9401: Yet another syntax for literal anonymous functions (lambdas)
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/9401

* Author: Alexey Muranov
* Assignee:
* Category:
* Target version:
Please do not be angry at me and just close this proposal if it does not look interesting.  It comes from my aesthetic dissatisfaction with the `->(x){ ... }` literal anonymous function notation and from my amateurish interest in lambda calculus.

Here is a yet another syntax for literal anonymous functions (lambdas) that i propose:

    f = {\ x => x*x }
    f[1] # => 1
    f[2] # => 4

It looks a bit like a hash on purpose: i think that a hash is a "function in extension" and a lambda is a "function in intension" (see, for example, in [these notes](http://www.classes.cs.uchicago.edu/archive/2004/spring/15300-1/docs/lambda-intro.pdf)).  The backslash stands for "lambda", like in Haskell.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/