Issue #7742 has been updated by duerst (Martin Dürst).

phasis68 (Heesob Park) wrote:
> As I know, VISCII(Vietnamese Standard Code for Information Interchange) can round trip UTF-8. So the implementation of the converter between VISCII and UTF-8 might be easy.

Yes, it should be easy. Can you open a separate ticket? I'll give it a try over the weekend.

> I am not sure if a converter between Windows-1258 and VISCII is possible, Windows-1258 can be supported via VISCII.

Conversion between Windows-1258 and VISCII is actually as difficult as the conversion between Windows-1258 and NFC-normalized UTF-8, which is the most difficult variant as I have explained above.

Bug #7742: System encoding (Windows-1258) is not recognized by Ruby to  convert back to UTF-8