I am afraid that kind of conditional behavior could error prone (e.g. accidental misbehavior when one forget having #call in argument object).  I'd rather have #detect with keyword argument, like ary.detect(ifnone: :notfound).

Matz.

Feature #9347: Accept non callable argument to detect

Author: marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: current: 2.2.0

Currently, the only argument that `Enumerable#detect` accepts is a callable object.

Shouldn't we accept non callable objects too?

    [42].detect(:not_found){} # => NoMethodError: undefined method `call' for :not_found:Symbol
     # would return :not_found instead.

I'd suggest that if the given argument does not `respond_to? :call`, then it would be returned as is instead of raising an error as currently.
Wouldn't this be more flexible and possibly more performant?

Inspired by http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20883414/why-does-enumerabledetect-need-a-proc-lambda

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/