Issue #9321 has been updated by drkaes (Stefan Kaes).

rb_frame_pop is called in only one place, and that's the one which the patch addresses.

So yes, we could move the code to rb_frame_pop(), if we change it's signature.

I'm not sure, under which circumstances the problem can show it's ugly head.

This breaks (without patch):

def foo; UNKNOWN_CONSTANT rescue nil; end

These don't:

def foo; 1/0 rescue nil; end
def bar; raise "shoot" rescue nil; end

Bug #9321: rb_mod_const_missing does not generate a c-return event