Issue #9262 has been updated by sam.saffron (Sam Saffron).

There was a concern that gettimeofday is expensive and adds too much time to my results

I measured:

static VALUE
rb_timing_overhead_per_100k(VALUE klass){
    int i, iterations = 100000;
    struct timeval temp,tv1,tv2,res;

    gettimeofday(&tv1, NULL);
    for(i=0; i<iterations; i++) {
	gettimeofday(&temp, NULL);
    }
    gettimeofday(&tv2, NULL);

    timersub(&tv2, &tv1, &res);
    return INT2FIX(res.tv_sec*100000 + res.tv_usec);
}

turns out that its 2000 microseconds per 100k calls, so the additional time involved due to measuring is negligible, the numbers can be trusted

Bug #9262: global_method_cache should be configurable or grow automatically