Despite the OP's intention, String#f should not be an alias to #freeze, but should work as #dedup described in #9229.
I am quite positive, but it must be too late for 2.1.

Matz.

Feature #9043: Add String#f method as shortcut for #freeze

Author: headius (Charles Nutter)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: current: 2.1.0

We have String#b to create a binary-encoded String, and we have the "f" suffix (going away, hopefully) and the "literal".freeze optimization (#8992). I think it would be reasonable to add String#f as a shorter method for producing a frozen string.

If String#f is added the "literal".freeze optimization could be dropped in favor of "literal".f. This would provide something very close to the original "literal"f syntax but in a backward-compatibility-friendly way (class String; alias f freeze; end).

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/