Bug #9251: ! operator has lower precedence than = in an assignment expression

Author: rits (First Last)
Assignee:
Category: doc
Target version:
ruby -v: ruby 2.0.0p353 (2013-11-22 revision 43784) [i686-linux]

irb(main):001:0> !a = 1
(irb):1: warning: found = in conditional, should be ==
=> false
irb(main):002:0> a
=> 1

! is supposed to have higher precedence than =, so !a = 1 should be (!a) = 1, and thus an error, not !(a = 1)

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/