Issue #8584 has been updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler).

(Sidenote, not related to this, but all of ruby's stdlib should become as modular as possible, so users could toggle on/off what components of ruby they want to have included, perhaps with rubygems able to allow for this. "gem uninstall webrick" for instance if a user really won't need that, and so forth.)
Bug #8584: Remove curses

Author: shugo (Shugo Maeda)
Assignee: naruse (Yui NARUSE)
Category: ext
Target version: current: 2.1.0
ruby -v: 2.1.0dev

I'd like to remove curses from the Ruby standard library.

I believe the standard library should get as small as possible, and I can't find any reason to have curses except for a compatibility reason.  And Ruby has RubyGems now, so it's enough to have curses.gem for compatibility.

I've created a repository for curses.gem.

  https://github.com/shugo/curses

I'm not a user of curses now, so it would be great if someone can take over it.

Can I remove curses from Ruby 2.1?

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/