Backport #8872: Case statements do not honor a refinement of the '===' method

Author: jconley88 (Jon Conley)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category:
Target version:

=begin
Below, I've redefined the ((|===|)) method of symbol to always return true.  In ((|RefineTest#uses_refinement|)), I call ((|===|)) directly and the refined method is called.  In ((|RefineTest#does_not_use_refinement|)), the ((|===|)) method is called indirectly through a case statement.  If the refined ((|===|)) method was called, the result should be ((*'The refinement was used'*)), but this code currently returns ((*'The refinement was not used'*)).

 module RefineSymbol
   refine Symbol do
     def ===(other)
       true

 using RefineSymbol

 class RefineTest
   def uses_refinement
     :a === :b
   end

   def does_not_use_refinement
     case :a
     when :b
       'The refinement was used'
     else
       'The refinement was not used'

 rt = RefineTest.new
 rt.uses_refinement   # => true
 rt.does_not_use_refinement  # => expected 'The refinement was used' but got 'The refinement was not used'
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/