Issue #9123 has been updated by rosenfeld (Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas).

Now I finally understand the purpose of nonzero? :) In several languages, including Perl and JavaScript, 0 is a falsy value, but this is not the case for Ruby. So it's kind of a hack to make 0 be treated as a falsy value :) Indeed, now that I understand it, I could find quite some usage for it :)
Feature #9123: Make Numeric#nonzero? behavior consistent with Numeric#zero?

Author: sferik (Erik Michaels-Ober)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

Numeric#zero? returns true or false, while Numeric#nonzero? returns self or nil.

I've written a patch that fixes this inconsistency and adds a Numeric#nonzero (non-predicate) method that returns self or nil for chaining comparisons. I'd like for this to be included in Ruby 2.1.0.

https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/452.patch

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/