wardrop (Tom Wardrop) wrote:
> They do differ, yes, but in most cases an enumerator is interchangeable with a Hash. I can't imagine anyone would be using Hash#select to get an enumerator anyway. If anyone is, then their code deserves to break to some extent. You should use Hash#enum_for or Hash#each methods if you want an enumerator from a hash.

Do you mean Enumerator (the class returned by many functions when !block_given?) or Enumerable (the module that defines #sort, #reverse, etc.)?
Feature #9108: Hash sub-selections

Author: wardrop (Tom Wardrop)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

=begin
Hi,

I seem to regularly have the requirement to work on a sub-set of key/value pairs within a hash. Ruby doesn't seem to provide a concise means of selecting a sub-set of keys from a hash. To give an example of what I mean, including how I currently achieve this:

    sounds = {dog: 'woof', cat: 'meow', mouse: 'squeak', horse: 'nay', cow: 'moo'}
    domestic_sounds = sounds.select { |k,v| [:dog, :cat].include? k } #=> {dog: 'woof', cat: 'meow'}

I think a more concise and graceful solution to this would be to allow the Hash#[] method to take multiple arguments, returning a sub-hash, e.g.

    domestic_sounds = sounds[:dog, :cat] #=> {dog: 'woof', cat: 'meow'}

I had a requirement in the current project I'm working on to concatenate two values in a hash. If this proposed feature existed, I could of just done this...

    sounds[:dog, :cat].values.join #=> 'woofmeow'

You could do something similar for the setter also...

    sounds[:monkey, :bat] = 'screech'
    sounds #=> {dog: 'woof', cat: 'meow', mouse: 'squeak', horse: 'nay', cow: 'moo', monkey: 'screech', bat: 'screech'}

Concise, convenient and readable. Thoughts?

=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/