Issue #9098 has been updated by sikachu (Prem Sichanugrist).

@drbrain I could, but then the code would look ugly when the non-heredoc section is well-indented, and especially if the heredoc is pretty long. Consider this example code:

    module Rails
      class CommandsTasks # :nodoc:
        attr_reader :argv

        HELP_MESSAGE = <<-EOT
    Usage: rails COMMAND [ARGS]

    The most common rails commands are:
     generate    Generate new code (short-cut alias: "g")
     console     Start the Rails console (short-cut alias: "c")
     server      Start the Rails server (short-cut alias: "s")
     dbconsole   Start a console for the database specified in config/database.yml
                 (short-cut alias: "db")
     new         Create a new Rails application. "rails new my_app" creates a
                 new application called MyApp in "./my_app"

    In addition to those, there are:
     application  Generate the Rails application code
     destroy      Undo code generated with "generate" (short-cut alias: "d")
     plugin new   Generates skeleton for developing a Rails plugin
     runner       Run a piece of code in the application environment (short-cut alias: "r")

    All commands can be run with -h (or --help) for more information.
    EOT

        COMMAND_WHITELIST = %(plugin generate destroy console server dbconsole application runner new version help)

Compared to this:

[...]

From the code example, you could see that it looks much nicer when it's properly indented based on the level. The heredoc doesn't feel foreign and stand out-of-place anymore.
Feature #9098: Indent heredoc against the left margin by default when "indented closing identifier" is turned on.