Issue #9023 has been updated by bozhidar (Bozhidar Batsov).

I also dislike the name Array#tail, since it's commonly associated with linked lists, not arrays. I think a much better name would be Array#butfirst (and I've actually renamed Array#tail in powerpack to Array#butfirst). On a related note it makes sense to have a method Array#butlast as well - it should obviously everything except the last element of the array.
Feature #9023: Array#tail

Author: fuadksd (Fuad Saud)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category:
Target version:

I propose the addition of a `tail` method to the Array class that returns all elements but the first. It is a pretty common pattern in functional programming, but not limited to - I use it extensively in all kinds of apps/gems. The implementation would be pretty trivial, I won't risk a patch to MRI because I'm uninitiated on ruby core matters, but powerpack gem (http://github.com/bbatsov/powerpack) implements it in ruby in terms of slices.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/