The change to optimize String#freeze has landed for #8992, which compiler-optimizes String#freeze. The only remaining decision is whether to also add #f with the same optimization.

matz likes the idea of String#f. I'm happy either way, since #8992 landed, but a shorter method would be nice. With String#f acting like "str"f, we'd only be one character more verbose than the original syntax.

I believe matz needs to decide this one.
Feature #9043: Add String#f method as shortcut for #freeze

Author: headius (Charles Nutter)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: current: 2.1.0

We have String#b to create a binary-encoded String, and we have the "f" suffix (going away, hopefully) and the "literal".freeze optimization (#8992). I think it would be reasonable to add String#f as a shorter method for producing a frozen string.

If String#f is added the "literal".freeze optimization could be dropped in favor of "literal".f. This would provide something very close to the original "literal"f syntax but in a backward-compatibility-friendly way (class String; alias f freeze; end).

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/