Bug #9055: Global methods called from an object can access object's internals

Author: concorde (Alexander Korolkov)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version: current: 2.1.0
ruby -v: ruby 2.1.0dev (2013-10-27 trunk 43439) [x86_64-linux]

=begin
When I run the following program:

 def foo()
     bar(1)
     puts "baz: #{@baz}"
 end

 def bar(n)
     puts "global bar: #{n}"
 end

 class X
     def initialize()
         @baz = 42
         foo()
     end
     def bar(n)
         puts "X::bar: #{n}"

 foo()
 X.new()

I expect that foo() will be called once directly and once indirectly from X constructor. So I expect the following output:

 global bar: 1
 baz:
 global bar: 1
 baz:

But in reality I get the following output:

 global bar: 1
 baz:
 X::bar: 1
 baz: 42

So when the method foo() is called from a method of object, it runs in the context of this object! It can access instance variables (@baz) and calls object's method bar() instead of global method bar().

What is this, a bug or a hidden feature? It's never mentioned in ruby tutorials or documentation. This behavior is counter-intuitive and may be potentially dangerous.

The same happens in latest ruby-trunk, ruby-1.8 and ruby-1.9.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/