Issue #8982 has been updated by myronmarston (Myron Marston).

nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> myronmarston (Myron Marston) wrote:
> > * It matters whether or not the first character in my `inspect` is a `#`.  If it's not, ruby appends the class's `#inspect` output to it.
>
> '#' at the beginning is assumed the string is same as Object#inspect, otherwise its class name is appended since the string may not represent the class.

Ruby itself provides many classes whose definition of `inspect` does not include `#`.  Why cannot it not allow me to do the same?  Also, `#` at the beginning of the string being taken as a sign that it's the same string as `Object#inspect` would produce seems incredibly broken.  And I'm not sure why you care?  Why can't I define how my class is represented as a string?  Isn't that the point of `inspect`?

> > * It matters how long my `inspect` string is.  If it's less than 66 characters, it's used; if it's more than 65, it's discarded, and the default anonymous `#inspect` is used instead.
>
> If the `inspect` string is too long, just ignore it and use default conersion method

Many of ruby's built-in classes can produce longer inspect strings than this.  (As an example:`([1] * 1000).inspect`).  Ignoring what a user has defined for `inspect` seems incredibly surprising and would be considered a bug by every ruby programmer I know (well, every ruby programmer I've shown this issue to, at least).

IMO, Ruby should either retain complete control over how objects represent themselves strings, or allow users to define how objects are represented as strings...but giving us the illusion that we can define how objects represent themselves as strings, and then not actually allowing that, is the worst possible outcome.

And this isn't just theoretical: I spent a couple hours a few weeks ago scratching my head, trying to figure out why in the world my object's `inspect` wasn't working.

Bug #8982: NoMethodError#message produces surprising output when #inspect is defined on an anonymous class