Status changed from Open to Assigned

FYI:

I made the same proposal in Japanese [ruby-dev:32198].  But matz did not agree with me because "tail" did not look a good name to him.  Indeed, it is unnatural that all but "head" is "tail", especially, for those who are not familiar with typed functional programming such as ML and Haskell.

Even for very functional people.
http://wadler.blogspot.jp/2009/11/list-is-odd-creature.html

Matz counter-proposed "butfirst" (which comes from LOGO) but received many negative comments, he said.  The following names were suggested but matz did not like all of them.

  - cdr
  - rest
  - body
  - tail
  - subseq
  - headless
  - follower
  - but_first
  - subsequence
  - from_second
  - continuation
  - second_or_later

In the end, knu suggested a simple workaround:

  ary.drop(1)

--
Yusuke Endoh <mame / tsg.ne.jp>
Feature #9023: Array#tail