Issue #9016 has been updated by renatosilva (Renato Silva).

If you type "chcp 850" in cmd.exe before calling the script, it should accept the argument. You can use the word "Japonês" (Japanese) as example for the file path.
Bug #9016: String#encoding is lying?

Author: renatosilva (Renato Silva)
Assignee: cruby-windows
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: ruby 2.0.0p247 (2013-06-27) [i386-mingw32]

Please see attached test case.

If you try opening a file using a CP850 (possibly others) path which was passed as command line argument, you are not able at all, unless you encode the argument into its very own reported encoding (CP850), and from some encoding different than that (in my case, both ISO-8859-1 and Windows-1252 worked). It is just like ARGV[0].encoding is lying!

Before, in Ruby 1.8, File.open would work just fine. I have a script that just stopped working, till I found the above workaround. This seems to me like a bug. I would expect Ruby to just do its best in order to convert user input into the required encodings for file APIs and such. Meaning I would not like for a possible fix to require any code migration from 1.8 to 1.9+ at all.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/