Issue #8968 has been updated by vo.x (Vit Ondruch).

nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> Not only sizes.c, you need BASERUBY to generate some source files after touching template files.
> It's your responsibility.

Yes, it may happen that I may need to change some template for whatever reason, but configure.in is probably one of the first files which needs to be changed for whatever reason. For example similar patch like this one [1] is applied to Fedora's package for ages. Not sure if that makes sense to propose it upstream.

[1] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ruby.git/tree/ruby-1.9.3-always-use-i386.patch
Bug #8968: Baseruby is required after patching configure.in