On 2013/10/03 2:27, brixen (Brian Shirai) wrote:

> Issue #8976 has been updated by brixen (Brian Shirai).

>> It would be a very bad idea to have a directive that completely changes the meaning of code from one file to another.
>
> For consistency sake, it should be noted that, in fact, this is exactly what the existing encoding pragma does,

The reason why there is an encoding pragma, and why it's per file, is
because text editors deal with one encoding per file. Doing something
like an encoding pragma e.g. on a block basis would not work well
together with editors.

I agree with Charles and others that a file-based directive isn't a good
idea for frozen/fixed strings.

 From a more general perspective, it feels to me that introducing all
these frozen options will increase performance, but at the cost of
programmer effort. That would be the case also e.g. for something like
type hints,..., but that's not Ruby style.

Regards,    Martin.

and it's also the express purpose of refinements.