They are extracted from configure.in script automatically.
And ANSI/ISO C standard requires stringize operator to turn the argument into a string literal *before* expanding it.
Feature #8568: Introduce RbConfig value for native word size, to avoid Fixnum#size use

Author: headius (Charles Nutter)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version: Ruby 2.1.0

Fixnum#size is not really useful to represent native word size across all platforms and implementations. On JRuby, for example, our Fixnum is always represented as a 64-bit Java "long" value, regardless of the underlying native platform. There may be other implementations that fix Fixnum's size to a specific bit width as well. Therefore, using Fixnum#size to determine the size of a word on the underlying native platform is not reliable.

I propose two additions to Ruby:

1. RbConfig value "word_size" for native word size. This could reflect bit size (32, 64) or byte size (4, 8).

2. A constant, somewhere in Ruby, to provide access to this value more directly. I'm not sure where this should go. ObjectSpace::WORD_SIZE?

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/