nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> headius (Charles Nutter) wrote:
> > Maybe. I don't like the idea of exposing this mutex/monitor, since it could be modified or locked and never released. I would be more in favor of a "tap" form that synchronizes against the same internal monitor, similar to Java's "synchronized" keyword.
> >
> >   obj.synchronized { thread-sensitive code here }
>
> Use MonitorMixin.

Yeah, that's not a bad option from a pure-Ruby perspective. We could add "synchronized" to classes that include MonitorMixin, perhaps?

* added to monitor.rb:

module MonitorMixin
  module ClassMethods
    def synchronized(method)
      aliased = :"#{method}_without_synchronization"
      alias_method aliased, method

      define_method method do |*args, &block|
        mon_enter
        begin
          __send__(aliased, *args, &block)
        ensure
          mon_exit

  def self.included(base)
    base.extend(ClassMethods)

class Foo
  include MonitorMixin

  synchronized def bar
    # ...

My suggestion to have it be native on Module opened up the possibility of implementing it in a faster, native way. MonitorMixin has a very large perf hit on all impls right now, but especially MRI. See my benchmarks in https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/405#issuecomment-25417666
Feature #8961: Synchronizable module to easily wrap methods in a mutex