Feature #8961: Synchronizable module to easily wrap methods in a mutex

Author: tobiassvn (Tobias Svensson)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

I propose a Synchronizable mixin to easily wrap methods in a mutex which works together with Ruby 2.1's method name symbols returned from 'def'.

The Mixin adds a new 'synchronized' class method which would alias the referenced method and redefines the original method wrapped in a 'synchronize do .. end' block.

This is probably somewhat related and an alternative to #8556.

--

Proof of concept (I've used Monitor here so potential users won't have to worry about reentrancy):

require 'monitor'

module Synchronizable
  module ClassMethods
    def synchronized(method)
      aliased = :"#{method}_without_synchronization"
      alias_method aliased, method

      define_method method do |*args, &block|
        monitor.synchronize do
          __send__(aliased, *args, &block)