Issue #8943 has been updated by davispuh (D??vis Mos??ns).

Sorry, I didn't wanted to sound too arrogant and I didn't meant this issue specially, but proper encoding/Unicode support overall. For me it's just hard to understand why it wasn't implemented properly in first place. I encountered these issues only now recently as quite rarely have to deal with Unicode characters in some places. But this is 4th encoding related issue I've submitted in last 2 months and it's a bit annoying. Especially as Ruby language didn't came out this year, but some while ago so there shouldn't be many problems. Even just reporting issues takes time. Of course I could fix it myself and I actually live with "If you want something done, do it yourself" but sadly I don't really have time now and it's not so important as other things I've to do. So maybe later after some months when I'll have time I might fix it myself if there won't be any progress. Anyway thanks.
Bug #8943: Invalid encoding for Windows Registry

Author: davispuh (D??vis Mos??ns)
Assignee: cruby-windows
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: ruby 2.0.0p247 (2013-06-27) [x64-mingw32]

=begin
It's not possible to correctly read non-ASCII registry values. It's also not possible to write them with correct encoding.

to test import ((<test.reg|URL:https://gist.github.com/davispuh/6676385#file-test-reg>))

then ((<test3.rb|URL:https://gist.github.com/davispuh/6676377#file-test3-rb>))

Output on Ruby 2.0 (it's same for 1.9.3 except encoding is US-ASCII not UTF-8, but both are wrong)

 N:\Projects>ruby test3.rb
 UTF-8
 ??????
 "\xE5??\xE4?\xE2"
 test

(it hangs here)

screenshot of registry after running it ((<URL:http://i.imm.io/1gFES.png>))

seems that whoever wrote Ruby code to interact with WinAPI had no idea about encodings/code pages Windows uses as there's loads of issues and they've been for years.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/