nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> (13/09/16 3:29), headius (Charles Nutter) wrote:
>  > @matz What I mean is that all of the following could safely be optimized to return the same object every time:
>  >
>  > []f
>  > {}f
>  > [:foo, 1, 1.5, true, nil]
>
>  Note that we have to freeze true, false, and nil too, for the last
>  expression.

https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/8923
Feature #8909: Expand "f" frozen suffix to literal arrays and hashes

Author: headius (Charles Nutter)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

The "f" suffix to declare a frozen string was recently accepted into 2.1, and I think it's a spectacular addition. I would very much like to see it work for literal arrays and hashes too:

[1, 2, 3, 4, 5]f

{foo: 1, bar: 2, baz: 3}f

There are many, many cases where this could reduce allocation (frozen array with literal elements would only need to be allocated once) and improve thread-safety (explicitly create frozen arrays and hashes when creating structures that might be used across threads).

Is there any reason why we could not do this? I believe both of the above syntaxes would be invalid today, as was the case with the String "f" suffix, and hopefully that means the work to add this syntax would be similar.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/