Subject changed from Exception#raise to Exception.raise
Description updated

How can you pass erred location and backtrace?

You can call Kernel.raise as:
  class Exception
    def self.raise(*args) Kernel.raise(new(*args)) end
  end

And you seem talking about Exception.raise, not Exception#raise.
Feature #8912: Exception.raise

Author: sawa (Tsuyoshi Sawada)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

=begin
When we have a custom exception class with a custom (({initialize})) method whose arity is not (({1})):

    class MyException < StandardError
      def initialize x, y
        super("Something went wrong with #{x.inspect} because #{y}, blah blah")

in order to raise it, we have to create a new instance of it explicitly using (({new})), and embed that under (({Kernel#raise})).

    raise(MyException.new(:foo, :bar))

This is inconvenient, and does not look object oriented. I propose that there should be (({Exception#raise})), which is public, so that we can do:

    MyException.raise(:foo, :bar)

A Ruby implementation may be like this:

    class Exception
      def self.raise *args; Kernel.send(:raise, *args) end
    end

This will disallow us from calling the private method (({Kernel#raise})) (without an explicit receiver) within the context of an (({Exception})) class unless we use (({send})), but I think such use case is rare, and that should not be a problem.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/