Status changed from Open to Feedback

Concrete use-case please?  Besides that, I don't think #index? is a good name for the function.

Matz.

Feature #8811: Counterpart to `Hash#key?` for `Array`

Author: sawa (Tsuyoshi Sawada)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

=begin
`Hash` hash `key?` to tell if a key exists without checking the value. It would be convenient if there were a counterpart in `Array`. Suppose it is called `Array#index?`. Then it should behave as follows:

    [1, 2, 3].index?(2) # => true
    [1, 2, 3].index?(3) # => false
    [1, 2, 3].index?(-3) # => true
    [1, 2, 3].index?(-4) # => false

This is useful when we want to insert/move/delete elements to/from a certain position of an array. Without checking if a value exists, it can be messed up. Implementing a check is cumbersome now. With the proposed method, it would become easy.

=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/