Feature #8788: use eventfd on newer Linux instead of pipe for timer thread

Author: normalperson (Eric Wong)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version: current: 2.1.0

eventfd is a cheaper alternative to pipe for self-notification (signals) on Linux

I will submit patches in the next few days/weeks unless there are objections
(or somebody else wants to do it sooner).  I'd also like to cleanup some of the existing #ifdefs in that area while I'm at it.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/