Issue #8751 has been reported by tenderlovemaking (Aaron Patterson).

Feature #8751: Add offsets to method#source_location
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/8751

Author: tenderlovemaking (Aaron Patterson)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

Hello,

I would like to have byte offsets returned on the source_location for methods.  For example:

def foo(&b)
  b.source_location # => [file_name, line_number, start_byte, end_byte]
end

If we had the start and end byte for a method or proc, then we could find the source for methods and procs in each file.  There are some cases (like with heredocuments) where the "end of the method" could be after the `end` keyword.  But I think if we just have offsets for the start of `def` and the end of `end`, I think it would cover 99% of usecases.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/