Issue #8695 has been reported by tluedeke (Thomas Luedeke).

Bug #8695: CompilationMakefile for 1.9.3-p448 and 2.0.0-p247 produces "Inconsistent rules lines" errors on HP-UX 9000/800
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/8695

Author: tluedeke (Thomas Luedeke)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: N/A

I was following the instructions in the README file for the compilation of Ruby version2.0.0-p247.  The problem is also reproducible for the 1.9.3-p448 installation.  Because of this error, I cannot install either version of Ruby.

The Makefile produced by the configuration utility, when run with Gnumake 3.82, errors out as follows:

            Makefile:748: *** target file `clean-ext' has both : and :: entries.  Stop.

When run with the standard HP UNIX make, it produces:

            Inconsistent rules lines for `clean-ext'
            Inconsistent rules lines for `distclean-ext'
            MAKE=make /bin/sh ./config.status
            config.status: creating Makefile
            Makefile unchanged
            Make: Cannot load compiling.  Stop.
            *** Error exit code 1

            Stop.

The machine specs are as follows:

HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800

I have attached the Makefile below.  Clearly this is an input error to target in the Makefile, but I am not familiar enough with Make to fix it myself.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/