akr (Akira Tanaka) wrote:
>  > While I appreciate Ruby is not always taking the lowest common denominator for functionality (fork, etc),
>  > we need a counterpart for Windows and OS X at least.
>
>  Users of such OSs can contribute an emulation function for clock_gettime.

A very poor one as mapping to Linux/UNIX constants would just confuse people.
I do not think the UNIX API clock_gettime() for this is the most suitable,
it does not abstract the functionality and the name/usage is not very ruby-like.

I think FFI would be a good way if someone need direct access to that low-level C function (except for accessing the constants, that would not be handy).

>  > naruse gave a very useful link in #8096, http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0418/ .
>  > I do not wish for a so large API, but I think we should have the timestamp functionality like time.time()
>  > and a precise performance counter like time.perf_counter().
>
>  PEP 0418 mentions that python provide clock_gettime as time.clock_gettime.
>  PEP 0418 doesn't mean providing clock_gettime itself is bad idea.

I believe providing a method which is only available in a quite restricted set of platforms is to be avoided.
In Python it is simply not defined on non-supporting platforms.

>  Higer level methods may be useful but what I intend in this issue is a
>  low level primitive.

To which use-cases other than benchmarking do you think?

I want Ruby to propose a nice and precise way to benchmark code *not* requiring the user to know about every detail of available clocks/timers under every platform.
Feature #8658: Process.clock_gettime